Bio of B.E. Stock

BIO OF B. E. STOCK B. E. Stock has been writing poetry since the age of eight, and has lived in New York City since age 16. She studied...

Hi all!

A family member pointed out that I typed "files" instead of "flies" in my poem "Engines." Which would not make much sense, in the context. Though if you work in an office you might think a young person naturally files, which isn't true, as I can tell you from experience.

I will share now a few poems from 2016. They were sitting idly in my cabinet and I figured I should give them some fresh air.

THE PASSIVIST

The revolutionary outlived his fervor
And learned to garden in his old age.
A visitor was struck by how slowly he moved
And how he arranged the light in his house
To fall upon the cat sleeping on a rug
Or the thick pottery dishes drying in the drain board.
When he spoke, it was about the river
Which had flooded its banks again
Or the amount of glass in a building
In Boston, or how you took your tea.
If he died on a Monday it would be
On a train to the center of town
Where he would study the faces of workers
And listen to boys tease one another
As they headed to their classrooms.
There he would sit
With a little smile on his face,

A picture of complete contentment.

OFFERINGS

I will have no great deeds to offer you
When I come across the great water
Nor will I be the sweetest grape on your vine
Or the most faithful converted criminal
To have hung beside you on the day of sacrifice.

But there will be the things that did not happen
Because I spoke, the places I could not go back,
The shunning of friends, the hostile glance across the room.
There will be the yielding in secret
When you placed the burden on my shoulders
That even now I have never actually seen,
The waking at night in full assurance,
And the yes that cannot be described.

As to your gifts, they are mingled
In the tears and sweat of my journey;
Their sheen is off; they have begun to rust.
I am sorry I could not keep them bright.
But you will delight in them, and teach me how

To restore them with peals of hilarious, irresistible mirth.

PRIMER FOR LIVING

Never put on this very day
What you could bear tomorrow
The world has always time for joy
But gives no place to sorrow.

A stitch in time if rashly done
Will always lead to nine
One hand may wash the other hand
They play with turpentine.

If you find nothing nice to say
Spray insults far and wide
You will be president some day
And none will dare to chide.

Do not look before you leap
You’d never move at all
Hard work will lead to fretted sleep
And sweetness to a fall.

JULY 4 NEIGHBORHOOD

No more parade; a shopping cart squeals
On a quiet avenue; next door
A brown dog complains over and over.
The distant fireworks we hear
Will be surrounded by excitement
For the makers of horns and banners
In an unfree country across the Pacific.

Somewhere, zeal will puncture people
Before turning the weapon on itself.
Somewhere, a child will play with fire
And blow off a hand or an eye.
But freedom together has become a rune
Whose key no one can discover.

We harangue one another over and over:
“Learn to be free!” rehearsing our speech
In an empty ballroom, a bathroom mirror,
While, below, the progression
Of tasks and pleasures grinds to a halt.

We should at least attend the wake
If we cannot make the celebration.

Yay, I was able to paste these from my computer file. 

Have a wonderful day, & stay soft.

Love, Barbara

No comments:

Post a Comment