Bio of B.E. Stock

BIO OF B. E. STOCK B. E. Stock has been writing poetry since the age of eight, and has lived in New York City since age 16. She studied...

Hi, friends.

Today I'd like to share some more traditional type poems I have written since I published my Collected Poems in 2001.


COMPANIONS

The population suffered, and the minister,
Peevish at being questioned, forced to stir
From his family den with its comfortable chair,
Thundered forth an appropriate condemnation
Of universal sin and sin’s occasion,
And then went off on his usual vacation.

But in a little park something occurred
Between a pigeon and another bird
That left us comforted and strangely stirred.

The pigeon cried, and sat upon the lawn,
Its head all tarry and its tail all torn,
And doubting it would see another dawn.
The starling feathered down and then was still,
Removed a flea or two with gentle skill,
Ensured the sorry end was not a kill.



DEAD ENEMY

So you have died. So this will never heal,
Never make sense as far as I can tell.

Your disapproval and my gossiping,
Beneath it all the nervous fear that clung,
The sickness all around us, poisoned love –
A friendship that became too good to live.

The rifts estranged, in spite of all we shared,
Till every fragrant flower became a shard.

Yet something in me dies, now you are dead,
That only you, and briefly, understood.

In hating I have loved you – oh, too well,
Too badly – I have cared enough to fail.



FOR DAVID

In vain our mother sent us out to play –
We knew what mattered, how she sat intent
And quiet as a fisher in the sun,
Her desk light with its concentrated beam
Choosing the meat of anything she read,
Her index cards amassing in the tray.
And we had seen our father ply the lead
And hunt the keys amid the garish gleam
Of newsroom light, his back grotesquely bent
To the low table, on some wasted day
Mom left us there, to get her errands done.

We quarreled, laughed or climbed the dirt in vain,
Miming the spontaneity we saw
In other children, while the precious years
Bled out to sea, and waited for the time
We could distill the meaning of our tears,
Shut out the world, its clamor and disdain,
Gather our joys, and start that inner climb,
And be at last what we beheld with awe.



THE INJURY (9/11/10)

The things I did just weeks ago,
The sex, the worship, and the spin
On my beloved bike, now glow
With wonder that remains within.

I did those things – will do again!
And yet the doubt begins to blur
The cadence of that bold Amen –
I do not dare to be so sure.

It was the anniversary
Of such a strange and evil day
My happiness deserted me
My joy was not allowed to stay.

In that frenetic time, there was,
I now admit, a secret fear,
A menace lurking just because
That awful date again was here.

My face will bear a little scar
When pain and struggle finally cease
To show my soul has traveled far,
And surely qualifies for peace.


Love, Barbara

No comments:

Post a Comment