Bio of B.E. Stock

BIO OF B. E. STOCK B. E. Stock has been writing poetry since the age of eight, and has lived in New York City since age 16. She studied...

Hi, all!

I want to talk a little about my book. Collected Poems is to me a concrete sign of how the universe cares for us. In 2000, I was separated from my husband, living alone; my company had upgraded the computers and started using e-mail, and I wasn't doing well learning it. I wanted to publish my book, and could not imagine how. I had no computer at home. A man started talking to me in the ground floor cafe of the World Trade Center. He befriended me, built me a computer, taught me Word and e-mail, and helped me out with his car. I published Collected Poems in the spring of 2001. Six months later, the towers would be blown up, downtown Manhattan would become a miasma, and the poetry scene would be practically non-existent. A couple of years later, George excused himself from my life. His job was complete. My father helped me promote and distribute the book. My husband supported my efforts; we got back together. I set up the book on my computer, and had it printed by a firm that advertised in Poets and Writers Magazine. I was hampered in distribution because they wouldn't get me an ISBN, but I believe I did distribute 300-400 copies. It's hard to know because they sent (and charged me for) a lot more than I ordered. I chose a large font which looks like old manuscripts, and like the things I printed on my hand press when I had Stock Poetry in 1976. Some thought the size unprofessional. However, a lady I knew read one of the poems to someone she cared about, who was struggling with the sugar devil, just before she went blind with macular degeneration. I'd rather have that than be the coolest tiger in the jungle.

So how can you obtain copies of my work? Until I have a payment system, you can send a check to:

B. E. Stock
9322 Third Avenue #246
Brooklyn, NY 11209.

Prices are as follows:

Collected Poems - $10
Three Women - $8
In Praise of Leisure - $5
Soliloquies - $5
16 Poems - $5

Chapbook pack - $10
Pub Package (all I got) - $25

If you want one of the poems I sample, I will send a copy on nice paper with an autograph for $2.50.

In the meantime, let's hoist a coffee for beauty and inspiration. Yeah!

Love, Barbara

No comments:

Post a Comment