Bio of B.E. Stock

BIO OF B. E. STOCK B. E. Stock has been writing poetry since the age of eight, and has lived in New York City since age 16. She studied...

Welcome!
Hello, and welcome to Stock Bard.

I'm delighted to have a chance to introduce you to my poetry and fiction.
After 60 years, I'm more convinced than ever that beauty, and the promotion of life-giving values through language and other media of expression, are the most revolutionary actions that anyone can take. Ideas and how we express them will change over time and experience, so how you respond to my work may have more to do with the way you take in the process of it, than whether I conform to a certain theory or tradition or format. A short poem, of course, is like a snapshot, and I hope I have many that "came out well."

In the 1970s-90s, I participated in a lot of poetry readings, got poems published in little magazines, and self-published chapbooks and broadsides, which I sold at readings and, early on, on the street. The chapbooks sold out and were printed again. The one from Stock Poetry published in 1976 is called 16 Poems, and I can print it on demand. The second one is Soliloquies, largely free verse and serious. I have physical copies of that in storage, and the same is true of the third chapbook, In Praise of Leisure, published in 1996. That one is larger, and has a lot of poems in traditional forms, many of them whimsical or humorous. In 2001, just before the attack on the Twin Towers, I published my Collected Poems, over 200 pages of poems from various eras of my life. Many are reprinted from the chapbooks; others were first published in literary magazines. There is also "Sally Jordan", which I will talk about later.

In the days ahead, I will be posting sample passages to give you an idea of what my poetry is like, as well as information on how you can obtain a copy of something that appeals to you.

So welcome again, and come back soon.

Yours, Barbara

No comments:

Post a Comment